Here’s what you should be looking to do when it comes to test automation…
- Test early and develop automation from the beginning.
- Use the knowledge from business users to determine scenarios and data.
- Use tools appropriate to the team’s skills.
- Avoid coded scripts that need maintaining.
- Maximise reuse so that scripts are modular and multi-purpose.
- Pick a solution with the intelligence to deal with changes automatically.
- Employ a single solution that will cover all your applications, both client and browser to support end-to-end testing.
- Use full regression testing to check everything. Don’t use an assertion-based approach – let the technology tell you what it finds, not just what you thought might change.